Sunday, April 8, 2007

Yeah, yeah, yeah, WOW!

Yesterday, I somehow got to thinking about the Japanese Spider-Man live action show I heard about some years back. Which got me to thinking that I've never seen so much as a clip of it before. Well, I thought, aren't curious oddities like this the lifeblood of YouTube?

Sure enough:



The face of the actor who plays Spider-Man actually looks a lot like how I'd picture the face of Peter Parker if he were Japanese. Something about the eyebrows, maybe? Or at least the similarity's there when he's wearing his motorcyclist's helmet. When it's off (as can be seen in other clips from the show on YouTube), not so much.

Also:



That's apparently an interview with Stan Lee from the DVD collection of the show.

Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I have to wonder what parts are him being honest and what parts are him being diplomatic.

I especially like his reaction when the off-screen lady tells him, in reaction to his question about what the tiny rocket was, "That's the Spider-Man's car." Look at his face as he takes it in.

John Byrne once related an amusing anecdote about the show on one of the incarnations of his infamous message board. He was visiting the Marvel offices at the same time as some of the Japanese folks behind the show. They showed him either an image or clip of their stuntman in the Spider-Man costume climbing the side of a really tall building. It wasn't a cinematic trick; the stuntman was really climbing.

Not noticing anything along the lines of safety nets or a bungee cord, Byrne asked one of the Japanese men, "What happens if the stuntman falls?" The man looked at him as if he were an idiot and replied, "Then he dies."

No comments: