Thursday, January 25, 2007

From Superego, Super-Ego

We all know superheroes are an ethically superior bunch. But has there ever been one who's insufferably arrogant because s/he's aware of that superiority? I don't mean people like the Silver Surfer who are always contemplating the evils of Man. Those characters tend to be outsiders to regular society, and it's their opinion of humanity that's low, not their opinion of themselves that's high.

I mean someone who has the thought "Wow, I'm so compassionate and self-sacrificing. Yeah, I'm so awesome" running through their head. And I mean someone who thinks that because s/he genuinely is that compassionate and self-sacrificing a person, not because they're indulging some delusion of greatness.

That'd be a kind of neat idea for a character, in my opinion.

No comments: