Sunday, February 4, 2007

Choi-Sized Pull List; 1-17, 1-24, & 1-31

Well, it's been a while since the last run-through, so there's some catching up to do.
***
Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis 48
Gate of Shadow, Part One
Here Be Monsters
-- I know next to nothing about the Fisherman, but the revamped version looks to be entertaining. I can't say I'm a fan of the character yet -- we haven't actually seen him do much yet -- but I'm intrigued and want to find out more.

The flashback scenes, which take place on land, were my favorite parts. Unfortunately, that this would be so serves to remind me of the fact that most high fantasy simply isn't my speed. Which is why, no matter what the Busiek mystery-project turns out be, I'm nearly certain I'll enjoy it more than his AQUAMAN. Unless it's, I-don't-know, Warlord or something. Oh, please no.

Still, this might have been my favorite issue yet. Now that the "Arthur accepting his role as Aquaman" stage is past, I'm finding the next one, "Arthur learning how to be Aquaman," more enjoyable. I'd be excited at the possibilities if I didn't know there's only more issue before Williams takes over the book, bringing with him a (possible) drastic sea change.

Fables 57
A Man's Home Is his Castle, Part One of Father and Son
-- Six monsters. Versus six cubs who we find out in this issue can change *into* monsters... Oh my, is... is this heading where it looks to be?

While the art here is stiff in places, Allred delivers what is still possibly the best fill-in art this series has had. Which makes the fact that I missed Buckingham's art more than usual odd. I think it's because this issue is particularly suited for his talents, what with the wolves loping about doing wolfish things and the emotionally-charged character interaction. Both of which Buckingham depicts especially well.

One of FABLES's greatest strengths is the way plots flow seamlessly one into the next. I don't feel the presence of the author's hand moving the pieces into position for the next arc. Obviously, it's there -- just as it is in pretty much all fiction -- but Willingham is good at obscuring it. One event leads to the next in a way that comes off as inevitable and natural. The new arrangement between Fabletown and Mr. North is a good example of that. *Of course* Fabletown'd want zephyrs to spy on Hansel and company, the reader finds himself/herself saying.

Jack of Fables 7
Jack of Hearts, Part One
Viva Las Vegas
-- It's the the little that make this for me: the background scenes containing the Pathetic Fallacy's mannequin girlfriend and her everchanging wardrobe, the napkin dispenser sticking up its hands, the roulette ball's expressive expressions, stuff like that. Hunh, come to think of it, all those bits involve the Pathetic Fallacy. Weird, as I don't like the character himself that much. He's actually *too*... er, pathetic. It's a little overdone, for me at least.

A problem with this series for me is that I can't stop comparing it to its parent title. And it suffers for it. If I could treat it as its own entity, I might be able to enjoy it more.

Ex Machina 26
Power Down, Chapter One
-- I've reached a conviction that this series reads better in trade paperbacks. I haven't quite put my finger on why yet, though.

It's nice to see what looks to be significant progress regarding the mystery of the object that gave Mitchell his powers. It's been quite a long time since we've had serious movement on that front, or at least it feels like it.

No comments: