Monday, February 19, 2007

Fandom Is Fandom Is Fandom

I mentioned some time back that I'm enrolled in a small two-unit class about the children's book series ANIMORPHS (and I have no idea how the facilitators managed to get such a course approved, but they are my new favorite people for it). Well, the class sort of reignited my passion for the series, a passion had settled into dormancy over the years, so I checked out the Animorphs Livejournal community. (Bear with me, this is tangentially related to superhero comics.)

Why, oh why, did I do that? What do I find there but the exact sort of obsessed fan behavior as in comics fandom? Why am I even surprised? I've been around the Internet enough to know this sort of behavior makes its home wherever there are a large number of devoted fans. I should have known.

Who was it who first attached the phrase "inflated sense of self-entitlement" to fandoms. Whoever did was spot on. And I'm finding it among the crazier Fandalites* too, as I see comment after comment decrying ANIMORPHS author K.A. Applegate for *gasp* passing the series over to other writers.

Gah, obsessed crazies are all the same, no matter where you go.

*I invented this term for Animorphs fans just for this entry. Anyone who read the series will get the reference. I was proud of myself for all of five seconds before I realized it doesn't sound all that good. It just rings odd to my ears.

No comments: