Saturday, February 10, 2007

Lang-Sized Pull List, 2-7

Anyone reading this entry should keep in mind that I was studying for an exam very late into the night the day before I read this week's purchases. As a result, I read the following comics when I was in a state of severe drowsiness. Why did I do that?

The following pseudo-reviews come with the disclaimer that, the state I was in, a comic could have contained the secret to world peace and everlasting happiness and I would have still thought, "Meh." These pseudo-reviews are probably overly critical.
***
Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil 1
Chapter 1: Yroob Szh Z Hvxivg!
-- The art... the art in this is just great. Even with eyelids half-closed, I was cognizant of that. It's charming, pretty, expressive. It's great. That goes for Jeff Smith's linework and Steve Hamaker's colors both.

Unfortunately, the plot isn't the artwork's equal. It's not awful or anything. In fact, it's pretty good. But only *pretty* good. There's just something lacking; I can't really explain.

I mean... the story's called "The Monster Society of Evil," so I guess I expected to see monsters. Instead, this issue is dominated by a re-telling of Captain Marvel's origin. That isn't necessarily bad, but I just feel there's something... perfunctory about the execution. It covered the bases but not with enough flair to make me go, "Wow." There's a lot of charm in this book, but it radiates from the art much more than the plot.

Astro City: The Dark Age, Book Two 2
The Out-of-Towners
-- Wow, this was a meaty read. A lot happens in this issue, a lot gets thrown into the mix. By the last page, there's quite the number of threads being juggled. Good stuff.

While the reveal about the Pyramid (P.Y.R.A.M.I.D.?) rep is on the predictable side, I can't really mind because it adds an interesting complication to the Williams's lives, one I'm eager to see play out in whichever manner it will. How will they choose to respond?

And the two-page spread of dossiers: just plain cool. Twins somehow born to separate mothers... I just love bizarre stuff like that. The attention to detail is part of what makes this series so enjoyable (and, I suppose, part of how Busiek makes even the most outlandish of events feel genuine). It's also one of the most infuriating (in a good way) things about ASTRO CITY, because the nature of the series makes it so that such information gets doled out very slowly. We know all this backstory and history is out there somewhere, but we can't get at it; we can only get snatches here and there. Not that I'm complaining; I'd rather get stories than info for the sake of info. But this is why I'm crossing my fingers that the remaining character specials will focus on super-people we already know about rather than new folks.

The Apollo Eleven are a great visual. Not only is this Ross cover something I can't take my eyes off, Brent Anderson does a great job with them inside as well. They're so... otherworldly.

Fantastic Four: The End 5
-- This limited series could have used more issues, in my opinion. It's starting to feel rushed. Threats get established, but are than hastily resolved in a rather perfunctory (there's that word again) manner.

The series overall is a fun, engaging romp, but this issue felt lacking.

Still, there were some nice character moments , and it's Alan Davis on pencils, so it looks gorgeous.

Detective Comics 828
Sharkbite
-- For a moment there, I was seriously wondering if Dini was going to have Batman pull out the bat-shark-repellant (guaranteed to be the most effective at repelling bat-sharks, you betcha) as an in-joke.

Yet another solid issue by Dini and Kramer that keeps the pages turning. I'm really liking the Riddler as a law-abiding detective. His interactions with Batman have a lot of snap to them.

No comments: