Friday, February 2, 2007

A Knife into the Heart of the Comics Blogosphere

Well, I came upon an... interesting new blog today. If you input http://dickhatesyourblog.blogspot.com to your address bar, you'll arrive at a comics weblog with -- unsurprisingly -- the delightful title Dick Hates Your Blog.

Blogger Dick describes his e-journal thusly:
"If 95% of all comics suck, the same is true of blogs about comics. Or traditional websites or message boards or podcasts or what have you. It's shocking how bad they are, really. On one extreme, you have smug middlebrow hipsters whose idea of criticism is to berate the reader for buying Civil War instead of Mouse Guard (or Scott Pilgrim, or Street Angel, or whatever happens to be this year's darling). On the other are the myopic slaves to continuity, who judge the quality of a book solely by how closely it adheres to the characterizations, styles, and tropes of their youth. And then there are the humor blogs, their lifeblood scanned images of poorly-drawn comics with hints of homoeroticism. Batman is totally gay! Vince Coletta sucked!
...
"I will document and ridicule this cacophany of the grotesque, fighting the blogosphere with its own weapon. I have no dog in this fight--I read the most ludicrous of superhero comics, the most portentous of art comix, the most disposable of manga, the most arcane of comic strips, and everything else I can get my hands on. I love it and hate it all equally. And, like comics blogs, I think 95% of it is crap."

I'm kind of torn about how I feel about his intended theme. On the one hand, it seems mean to rip into people for what they're doing for fun. Who cares if Blog X is badly written or if its jokes are weak; it's not like blogging's a job for us, you know? On the other hand, I do often find myself fed up with online fandom, its narrowmindedness, its irrationality. An undeniable part of me is rubbing its hands in anticipation of seeing this guy savagely rip into all o' that.

It's a shame APLOMB isn't more widely-read because that reduces its chances of coming into guy's crosshairs to pretty much nil. I'd seriously get a thrill if this site were to become one of his victims.

He lists so many different species of terrible comics blog in his zero entry! I must know which one APLOMB would fall under!

No comments: