Thursday, December 21, 2006

Cray-Sized Pull List, 12-20

I've decided to add a "Will I re-read it anytime soon" part to all of my so-called reviews. It's pretty self-explanatory, neh? (Reference to one of this week's comics for the self-win.) Just another tweak as I figure out what format best appeals to me. As usual, here there be SPOILERS:

Batman 660
Grotesk, Part 2
-- I somehow didn't see this on the stands last week, so I bought it during this one.

Wow, Johnny Karaoke's really cool, not to mention a lot of fun. And, of course, it's always nice to see more Asian characters around.

This was a decent issue, but I found the way it ended pretty strange, very abrupt. The final page/panel (it was a splash, so they're one and the same) isn't really a proper ending. I know it's part two of a four-part story, but individual chapters of a multi-parter usually still have a structure to them; even when the ending's a cliffhanger, it's still some kind of chapter conclusion. What we had here was... just a scene that happens; it *felt* like something that'd have more pages following it.

My guess as to the killer's identity: It's the sister, Amina Franklin. She, and not her brother, is the person behind Grotesk.

-- Will I re-read it anytime soon: No.

Fables 56
Jiminy Christmas
-- It took me a while to get into Fables, but I'm glad I stuck with it because I'm now really liking it month in and month out. This issue was simply delightful, from the surprising gag at the start to the warm character interaction at the end.

Those readers who are bereft of souls will no doubt complain about how Santa delivering presents to mundies makes no sense because the Fables are legally required to keep their existence strictly secret. But, well... they have no souls.

It's interesting how, with 1001 Nights of Snowfall (one *great* book) having been released, references to its stories snowballed in this ish. I wonder if Willingham will continue referencing it to such an extent in future issues.

-- Will I re-read it anytime soon: No.

Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis 47
Crown of Thorns, Part II: Coral Song
-- Reading this title gives me a strange feeling. I can't fully immerse myself in the story because I know a new writer's taking over in just a few more issues, before Busiek'll be able to bring everything to its conclusion. Every time we see a new development in the larger story or the beginning of a new subplot, I can't get too excited over the question, "Where's this headed?" because I know the answer might end up being, "Not where it was originally intended," or even, "Nowhere." I have no idea how many of the seeds Busiek sowed Williams will pick up, but even for those he does, there'll be the knowledge that we're not seeing the original vision those seeds were planted for. Heck, I'm not even sure I'll be sticking with Williams's run; I haven't read enough of his work to guess how much I'll like his writing.

This issue works as much as an example of the above as any. Here we have some nice seed-sowing, with the appearance of the coral-haired girl, the introduction of Reef's End, and the "thornéd crown" prophecy. It's a nice setup job for future issues, but since that setup *might* end up being for naught...

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with completely stand-alone stories that have no impact on the future. That's why I dislike it when people use the pejorative term "filler," as if there's something bad about a story that doesn't contribute to some grand arc. However, in this particular story's case, a large part of its appeal *comes* from what it sets up for later. What it sets up might come to fruition, true; even if Williams chooses to not follow up, Busiek still has two issues left. Still, knowing of the *possibility* that it won't affects me.

Because of all this, I couldn't really get into this issue, couldn't commit myself to the reading experience. Not with these nagging thoughts in the back of my head.

-- Will I re-read it anytime soon: No.

No comments: