Thursday, December 7, 2006

Palmer-Sized Pull List, 12-7

Yeah, the previous entry? Witness the workings of an overworked college student's mind in the middle of self-destructing, as it makes a desperate bid to relieve tension.

Anyway, here's my review for the comics I bought Wednesday. In this case, "comic" singular, as that's all I purchased. Spoilers ahead, natch.

Batman 826: Slayride
Writer: Paul Dini, Penciller: Don Kramer
--Another engaging stand-alone by Dini. So far, the only one I haven't cared for is the Poison Ivy tale. This one's a bit different in that it's *absolutely* stand-alone. In the previous issues, there's always been at least a small mention of something from earlier in the run, like the Riddler's ad running on TV.
Overall, the stand-alone structure is proving to be enjoyable, but at the same time, I don't feel a pressing desire to purchase the next issue each month. The stories are fun but don't feel weighty. I prefer stuff with more characterization, characterization that digs further in. And I'll never get the popularity of the Joker, I think.
Kramer's artwork is pretty good, but his Dick Grayson looked too much like Bruce here. Heck, I thought that's who he was at first.
Keep in mind that I don't love the animated series the way most do. I thought it was decent, but I don't see myself going out of the way to watch episodes again.

Also, another historical moment in APLOMB's history. I received my first "visitor who found his/her way here through bizarre searchwords." Someone was looking for: flash superhero superman dc comics -rom -memory -game -psp -actionscript -video -flex. That's getting pretty specific. Huh.

No comments: