Friday, December 15, 2006

"I Love to Behold You, but I Couldn't Hold You," He Lamented to the Lady in Lime

Here's an interesting gem from the letters page ("She-Mail") of The Sensational She-Hulk 39. I've copied the text letter-for-letter right down to the spelling errors (which could just as easily have been the creative team's fault as this... fan's).

Ms. Hulk,
When I say “Hubba Hubba,” please don’t take it wrong! Oh sure…there’s Mary Jane, and Moira, but sweetheart, Jen, ain’t no one holds a candle to you. You’re a pleasure to admire, a wit and a charmer. I love to behold you, but I couldn’t hold you, you’re just too much woman for me.
Your issuse are always exhilirating, the action and the humor, occasionally even the depth. (Some sneaks in, once in a while. Don’t tell John.) It’s nice to have such a competent female protagonist is the world. Keep up the really great work.
James W. Simmons
Westland, MI

Aside from the immediate wrongness of the letter's, well, everything... Moira MacTaggert?! That's something of an odd choice, isn't it? *Moira MacTaggert*?

There was no response to this letter.

I really like looking through the letter columns of older comics. They're like buried treasure chests and time capsules. From what I've seen of them so far, the She-Hulk letter columns are especially good for finding bizarre gems like this.

Moira MacTaggert. Man.

No comments: