Friday, December 22, 2006

From Mongoose Blood to Mutancy, A Retcon

Wanting to know more about the character this blog gets its name from, I hopped over to Wikipedia to take a look-see at the Whizzer's entry. (Despite my knock at the site some days back, I find it quite useful, and in the final analysis I'm glad it exists. )

Apparently, Marvel retconned the Whizzer's origin at some point? Wow, what? Behold:
The Whizzer's origin is considered particularly improbable even by comic book standards (i.e. receiving a transfusion of animal blood is far more likely to be fatal than beneficial), and later writers revealed via retcon that the mongoose blood had simply acted as a catalyst to his already mutant physiology, which also presumably allowed him to survive the transfusion in the first place.

That's... a lot less fun, really. It's relatively more realistic but it also has a bit too much of a generic quality. It doesn't fire up the imagination the way the original origin does. Assuming the entry's accurate, of course.

Oh, well. Despite APLOMB's etymological origin, I'm not much of a fan of Bob Frank, so it doesn't really bother me.

No comments: