Wednesday, December 6, 2006

It's the little things...

DC's official website has available for download podcasts of a number of the company's panels at San Diego Comic-Con '06. Among them is a "Spotlight on Kurt Busiek," in which, about a quarter of the way in, some guy decides to give the writer guff about the Batman/Captain America fight from JLA/Avengers.

While discussing that scene and his thoughts behind it, Mr. Busiek asks the audience, "World's greatest detective, world's greatest fighting machine: Who wins the fight?" If you listen *real* carefully, amidst the shouts on Capt. America's side, you can here one woman's voice in the background saying, "The detective." Writing this out, I'm realizing it by all rights shouldn't be all that amusing, but to me, it somehow simply is.

I was in the audience for this panel (at what was my first -- and possibly last -- con), and after hearing this recording, two things disappoint me about it:
1. It doesn't properly convey the outright, seething hate on the part of the guy who asked the Batman/Captain America question. That guy was *really* mad, in more ways than one.
2. It didn't capture all audience members beginning to shout "Next question!" and "Get a life!" when said guy wouldn't let go of the topic. 'Twas a thing of beauty.

One madman aside, it was a fun panel/podcast, even if I was unable to get the audience mike passed my way to ask my question.

No comments: