Friday, December 15, 2006

Quel Est le Projet Mystérieux?

So I've been giving some thought to what Kurt Busiek's upcoming "Mystery Project" might be, the one he left Aquaman for. What really intrigues me is his statement that he thought it "had the potential to benefit DC, the fans and the comics marketplace in general." I suppose every new title DC puts out is going to benefit DC, but those other two groups as well? What could that be about?

Here's what else we know:
1. It's an ongoing. 2. It's longer than the standard 22-page monthly. 3. It'll have "opportunities for the oceanscape and the Aqua-cast to get in on the action...”

Now, if you'll indulge me, let me put on my amateur sleuth hat...

I think it's safe to say that whatever he's doing isn't going be the next mega-crossover epic because, well, how could those possibly benefit the market in general? Besides, that conflicts with Fact 1.

It also sounds like it can't *just* be a new title for an old character, not unless there's some special twist involved. Again, a new Booster Gold or Zatanna series (to pick two examples off the top of my head) doesn't exactly warrant being called potentially beneficial to the marketplace in general. Also, why would it warrant more than the standard page count?

Fact 3 pretty much guarantees it'll be set in the DC Universe, and extending the same reasoning, we can rule out something like, say, a space opera-type deal. I mean, I suppose it's *possible* to get the Aqua-world involved in an Adam Strange title, but to go so far as to say there are "opportunities"? Similarly, we can rule out a gritty, street-level Batman-type or stories set in the distant past or future.

Still, the idea that it has the potential to help the marketplace in general is the most puzzling part. What sort of book could possibly meet that criterion? The first thing that comes to mind is properties from other media, stuff that allows for crossover audiences, but then it wouldn't be set in the DC Universe, right?

My guess? It's an anthology title, a "Tales of the DC Universe" sort of thing, perhaps with a twist or unifying theme. Think about it. It certainly satisfies Fact 3. It wouldn't be a far-fetched idea to give an anthology a rotating art team, which would explain how they expect a longer-than-usual title to come out on time in this day and age of artists who can't handle regular 22-pagers on a monthly schedule. The lack of success with anthologies in the past would explain why Busiek thought the Powers That Be would turn it down. Busiek's knowledge of continuity would suit a title like this. Its nature would make it resemble the Justice League Unlimited TV show, giving it the potential to bring in a crossover audience. It all fits... maybe?

Honestly, I'd be surprised if I turned out right, but at the same time I think there's at least a small possibility I am, if that makes any sense. And if I am, remember, you heard it here first, folks!

And yeah, I know what I actually wrote in the title is "Mysterious Project." I don't know how to write "mystery project." The result of four years' worth of public high school French classes, ladies and gentlemen!

No comments: